What do we know?
In the Bar Model Method, we often use the following basic mathematics:
1. Euclidean Division Algorithm to model the mathematical situations involving “cycle” and “remainder”.
2. Distributive Law to deal with distributive property situations and make mathematical deductions.
3. Euclidean Algorithm for finding the Greatest Common Unit – Unitary Method.
4. Algebraic Relations for corresponding mathematical relations between objects.
Basic Algebraic Skills
With bar models, we are able to visualise and solve algebraic relations using
1. Simple Arithmetic Operations for direct computations
2. Easy Algebraic Manipulations of the two simultaneous situations :
Sum-Difference, Sum-Multiple, Difference-Multiple
3. Intuitive Algebraic Manipulations for overlapping and non-overlapping situations.